Monday, March 26, 2012

Harmonies

I dunno, there's something about harmonies that really make a song sound complete. Harmony finishes it. Done. Maybe it makes me a bit of a music dork but I find it incredibly frustrating to hear a song that begs for vocal harmony but doesn't have it. Of course in that case it's fun to make up my own and imagine what the song would sound like with what I've come up with, but to me something is always missing when a melody sails along all alone. Granted, some songwriters leave out harmony on purpose...maybe that's what they're going for, something incomplete, an empty vibe, unfinished. But in the end I shrug my shoulders because the song never remains that way when its being listened to, at least not by me or my vocally-talented siblings and husband, and believe me, we come up with more than a couple great-sounding harmonic parts. So either way harmony always wins.

Want to hear some songs with some fantastic harmonies?! Mmmhmmm...try listening to these without getting goosebumps.


These two songs are begging for harmony! They frustrate me but I love them so. Play these in the Lopez household though, and you get a room full of voices. Every time. :)


I'd love to hear your harmonically-superb favorites!

Much love,
Genevieve

4 comments:

  1. Vieve!

    Have you listened to the Dirty Projector's "Bitte Orca" album? Crazy exciting harmonies going on there.

    happy to be reading your blog posts,
    Nisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got goosebumps just reading some of these titles, good post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's no need to argue by cranberries!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Couple more two part song I enjoy- "parachute" by Guster, "let down" by radiohead, and "monkeys uncle" by beach boys. Remember singing those on the way school?
    Oh yea and "foolish games" by jewel. Classic stuff at 630 in the morning.
    Alex

    ReplyDelete