Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Time to be Active...or not

For those that know me it's no secret what pleasure I get out of being active. Now, I know this isn't everyone's bag, in fact most of the time whenever the topic arises most people usually just brush aside any suggestion, opinion, fact, tip, advice....anything I have to offer, based on the assumption that I'm a bit of a freak, so whatever I say must be considered utterly ridiculous. Sure I admit that (let the judging begin) I enjoy feeling the burning calluses on the palms of my hands from the weights, I love the feeling of being sore, and sometimes I think sweat tastes good, and ooh! nothing makes me happier than how fast I feel when I run in a pair of brand new pillowy socks. But there's also something that I deeply cherish, and that is a moment of peace and quiet. Time to sit and just be. With all this in mind, I understand the importance music has in every aspect of these polar opposite extremes of existence, and everything in between. So I'll plant my feet right down the middle of the line and suggest some songs (in no particular order) for not only those moments of quiet downtime, but also for those moments when one wants to get their heart rate pulsing. You may not like an artist or band on this upbeat list, but don't shrug these tunes off at first glance....I.promise. they sound big and empowering in your headphones. And also don't shrug off the relaxing songs...they'll pull you into a pleasant peaceful place, and wash away all those thoughts of traffic, errands, and of course, the reminder that you need to go to the gym later. Believe me, if you don't already know these tunes, these are some goodies:

Songs to get you revved up:
1. "Hysteria"- Muse
2. "I Need a Doctor"- Dr. Dre feat. Eminem & Skylar Grey
3. "Princess of China"- Coldplay feat. Rihanna
4. "Empire State of Mind"- Jay Z and Alicia Keys
5. "Alejandro"- Lady Gaga
6. "Somewhere Only We Know"- Keane
7. "Noticed"- Mute Math
8. "Feels So Good"- Sonique
9. "Pretender"- Foo Fighters
10. "Tie You Down"- Shaimus

Songs to calm you down:
1. "Here Comes the Sun"- The Beatles
2. "Don't Panic"- Coldplay
3. "Georgia"- Ray Charles
4. "Hard Sun"- Eddie Vedder
5. "Golden Slumbers"- Ben Folds
6. "Out of the Woods"- Nickle Creek
7. "The Heart of Life"- John Mayer
8. "Hide and Seek"- Imogen Heap
9. "New Soul"- Yael Naim
10. "Mad World"- Gary Jules

I am of course missing oh so many golden songs. Any you suggest for either side of the fence?

much love,

Genevieve

4 comments:

  1. I love all of these songs!! Thanks for the inspiration to work out. I hope to one day be a person who likes the taste of sweat :) Love you and miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think those are some fine choices, and I especially like the Shaimus choice. To add something a little cornier to the "revved up" list, I'll add "Big Guns" by AC/DC. The opening riff will pump you up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES. These are great, many are on my workout list already. A few other upbeat tunes that just make me happy (and want to run): Race You (Elizabeth and the Catapult), Get Out the Map (Indigo Girls), Boogie on Reggae Woman (Stevie Wonder). Here are a couple others that fit the revved category: Cochise (Audioslave), Brain Stew (Greenday)

    ReplyDelete
  4. anne you have no idea how close i was to adding "Race You!" yes, such a fun one to run to.

    ReplyDelete